Monday, June 14, 2010

Masterchef influence

Every night at 7.30pm without fail, I'll have my TV tuned into Channel 10 for Masterchef. Best show on earth (errr ok maybe only in Australia since there are other awesome shows like 30 Rock, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family...ra ra ra). One night on the show, the contestants were asked to make pizzas and there were some pizza combinations that really stood out and made me want to try them. So armed with a recipe I found on the Internet and around $12 dollars poorer I managed to make a Pear, Walnut, Prosciutto and Gorgonzola pizza.
Here's the recipe I used:

1 pizza base (haha I cheated cos I don't know how to make pizza dough, or rather...am too lazy!)
1 pear (sliced relatively medium thin)
A handful of walnuts, the more the better!
2-3 slices of prosciutto (I got mine from Prahran market)
Honey
Gorgonzola cheese

1. Preheat oven to 230 degrees celcius
2. Lightly brush pizza base with olive oil
3. Scatter chunks of gorgonzola cheese on the pizza base at random
4. Place slices of pear on the pizza base, on top of the cheese
5. Add walnuts
6. Drizzle everything with honey
7. Finely slice the prosciutto and add them last to the base (if you prefer thicker slices of prosciutto then you don't even have to slice them)
8. Leave it in the oven for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown (I left mine till the prosciutto became crispy like bacon mmmmm)

I've never had gorgonzola cheese before so I had no idea what it tasted like but while making the pizza I could tell it was gonna be a very, very strong cheese. I love blue cheese but gorgonzola is even stronger than that....maybe a little too strong for me. Now I have so much gorgonzola leftover I have no idea what to do with it *scratches head + puzzled face. The pizza itself was amazing. I loved how the sweetness of the honey and pear nicely complimented the saltiness of the prosciutto, and these flavours were balanced by the nutty flavour of the walnuts. Yummy! I will definitely make this a second time (in fact, I've already gone to Coles to get me a second pear!) but without the gorgonzola.

I also found the taste of the prosciutto I bought too 'porky' when eaten by itself. I initially had them with rockmelon (as you do). But once I tasted them on the pizza after they've come out of the oven the taste was more moderate- a little like bacon as mentioned earlier.

So sleepy now...it's a public holiday tomorrow (Happy birthday to the Queen- thanks for the holiday!), maybe I'll find some time to blog about Mart 130. We'll see. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment