Monday, January 10, 2011

My window to the world

I was an avid reader of books. I remember mentioning on this blog sometime ago that I used to go through a couple of books a week (does anyone remember the 'Sweet Valley' series?). I believe I READ.THEM.ALL. I would always visit the bookstores once a week and dad would always get me the books I wanted. I'd read my afternoons and nights away, curled up in the black leather two-seater which has now been given away, replaced by a comfy L-shaped couch in the living room. 

I graduated from Sweet Valley to novels and would borrow books from this corner store in Subang Parade, until I became roommates with the storeowners' daughter here in Melbourne during my first year of uni. Once uni began, nothing else seemed to matter. I would not touch a book as often anymore. Twice a year, if I was lucky.

I found it hard to get back into the habit of reading, of letting myself be transported to another world. The Internet, with all its instant answers replaced books as thick as 500 pages each. That changed recently however, I picked up Jean Sasson's 'Princess' and have just purchased two more books- the sequels to her first book. It tells the story of the plight of Saudi Arabian women. What makes it interesting is the fact that it is told from the point of view of a Saudi Arabian princess and is a true story. Go on, I urge you to pick this book up. It will open your mind and eyes to another world unknown to us.


No comments:

Post a Comment