Monday, January 4, 2010

Take a peek into Lau's Kitchen

Lau's Family Kitchen
4 Acland Street, St Kilda,, St Kilda
8598 9880
Mon-Fri midday-3pm; Sun midday-3pm; Mon-Sun 6pm-10.30pm.

Having not heard of this place but having been to its more glamorous and expensive sister restaurant Flower Drum (which I sadly do not remember the food I had there), I was intrigued but still not that keen to try as I shy away from Cantonese cuisines most times. The boy decided to treat me and my family one night and I'm glad I gave it a go because this place surprised me. Lau's Family Kitchen is co-owned by Jason Lau (who works on the floor) and his brother (who works in the kitchen). Yup, and as you might have guessed, they are sons of Gilbert Lau- of Flower Drum fame. One thing I didn't like was the fact that waiters who served us were allowed into the kitchen to handle food (and with their bare hands too!!). I saw them transferring banana fritters from a huge bowl into individual plates with their hands :\

 Mom and Dad (looking kinda sleepy haha)

Welcome to Lau's Family Kitchen where the staff was very very attentive. Teacups were never left empty. The head chef (I think) gave my sister another empty bowl after I asked for one for myself. Although we didn't need 2 bowls, it just shows the level of attention bestowed on each table.

We were seated in prime position to sneak a peek or two into the kitchen. Spot the lil baby chicken hanging on a hook?

Chilli served in cute lil dishes

Scallops with vegetables- the scallops were FRESH, JUICY and YUMMY. Looking at them makes me salivate.

Deep fried Patagonian Toothfish

Braised chicken with chestnuts and mushrooms- chicken was average but the chestnuts were yummy

We were greedy and opted for banana fritters with ice-cream

Every dish was served with the same vegetables- so if you're ordering the dishes above, there's no need to order an individual vegetable dish. Next time I head back there I will try the Eye Fillet which was recommended by the waitress and have read good reviews on.

Till then, happy eating!

Lau's Family Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment