Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Montalto Restaurant- Mornington Peninsula


Let me tell you about the wonderful birthday I had today- made possible by the boy, and my sister who surprised me with a pressie when I got home. This will be a picture-heavy post (well, the most picture-heavy I've ever done...)

Obligatory outfit check before heading out. It was 16 degrees outside (very cold for a summer day), so I ditched the heels and put on some tights and flats.

Hitting the dirt roads. Ok fine, not exactly dirt roads...but it was scary having cars coming at you at 80km/h.

We finally arrive at our destination after 1.5 hours. Good thing about Melbourne is the proximity of vineyards and wineries. Perfect for a small getaway.

One of the many sculptures we saw at Montalto. They hold a yearly sculpture contest and I'm guessing the winner gets their sculpture displayed.

Restaurant time! Always my favourite part :D This restaurant was awarded 1 chef's hat by the Age Good Food Guide 2010. They grow most of the ingredients in their garden. Taken from their website, they have a "herb and vegetable garden, fruit & nut orchard and berry garden."

Taking advantage of the perfect lighting.

Inside the restaurant.

Montalto and Pennon Hill wines. Pennon Hill is south-facing whilst Montalto is north-facing so that affects how the wines taste.

Complimentary cauliflower soup from the chef. Bf loved this.
 

We ordered 3 entrees and 1 main. This was the zucchi flower risotto with some sort of cheese. My favourite entree out of the 3 we ordered. Now I know zucchini flower can be cooked this way instead of being deep-fried. I might incorporate it into my cooking soon- before zucchini flower season ends!

Duck and foie gras terrine with sourdough and figs. Served with slivers of green apple salad.

Wagyu beef carpaccio. Looks pretty but bf thought there was too much on the plate- which took the attention away from the carpaccio. I prefer the one I had at Movida.

I created my own tasting platter! :D

Now this is the main we had. I was blown away by the most tender, juicy and tasty piece of steak I've ever had. This beats the Angus sirloin I had at the Botanical. We told our waitress that we were sharing our main course and the chef kindly plated it on two dishes.

The view from where we sat.

Yummy chocolate dessert. I've had better- this is pretty run of the mill.

The view of the restaurant from outside.

Give the boy a stick and he will happily have a kick-around.

I thought this was one of the sculptures- but I think it's their drainage system :s

Grapes!

On our way to chase the little red rabbit (which you would have spotted in the last few pics if you were eagle-eyed ;)).

Bf asked, ' Who left their party hat laying around?'

STILL kicking things around :\

Taking a pensive stroll through the woods.

A mini-replica of the Malthouse theatre in Sturt Street, Soutbank.

Getting closer...come here lil wabbit.
 
 
 

There was an olive grove too.

More grapes in hiding.

Random sculptures on a highway. This is not a real hotel.

Bf drove quickly so we could watch 'Up in the Air'- Director's Suite-style! I had a free ticket from Hoyts to use for any screening in any cinema I wanted...so why not go all the way to the top huh?

Came home and I found a pressie in my room from my sister! Awesome stuff, right? Look at how cute the chocolates are (penguin, mushroom, bear, cupcake and chilli). And the post-its are <3 Which reminds me, I've yet to buy her her 21st birthday present, and she'll be turning 22 in 2 months. Oops.

Time for bed, good night everyone!

Montalto Restaurant and Winery on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment