Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dunkeld, Grampians, a whole lot more

Starting out on the 3-hr journey...look how flat the Western part of Melbourne is

2 couples holidaying in 2 convertibles

Pancake Parlour is Pancake Kitchen in Ballarat

We stopped here for a break before continuing on on our journey. Dropped by Sovereign Hill. I was surprised by how big and self-sustaining Ballarat seemed to be- it had everything!
Scary looking woman at Sovereign Hill. I hope she smiled for the pictures she took with the visitors.
Being silly as usual

This is what Royal Mail looks like from the outside. The place doesn't shout 'look at me, come stay here' but they have great amenities (Aesop toiletries, coffee powder and a huge selection of teas- I'm easily sold, can you tell?)
The entrance to our room
Our very own deck
The view from our room. We picked to stay in the mountain view room but didn't really get to enjoy it as we had to keep the blinds closed, reason being we were on street level
Our unit from the outside
Quaint little bookstore opposite the hotel

Since we were in Dunkeld, which was the very base of Grampians, we headed to Grampians to do some trekking and cycling. No pics of me in a helmet cos I wasn't a happy camper having to wear a gross helmet- ewwwwww! On the drive there...
What is hammer time?
We picked the hardest route when we went to Mackenzie Falls. Climbing down flights of stairs was easy but going back up was another story altogether. When they warned that the journey back up was challenging, strenous and steep they sure weren't kidding! I had to stop a few times when climbing up simply cos I ran out of breath and thought I was gonna die and roll down the waterfall. This is at the very base of the trek.
I sat there watching the waterfall while the boy became monkey for the day and stuck his nose in everything. Can you spot him in the pic below? Lol, where's wally...
We went cycling after that and I gave up halfway cos I didn't want to ride on the road and have to share with cars so the boy went by himself for a ride to the lake

Panoramic view from the top of a mountain. These shots were taken and created by the bf cos obviously I don't have the patience for these things haha

Panoramic view of the lake

It was a good getaway- no laptops, no internet. We really started to appreciate the getaway when we were driving home via Kingsway....the noise and cars and people that comes with living in the city made us realise that the grass is always greener on the other side.

Going to Sydney in June for an eating fest (hohoho- the boy's bday and he's shouting me dinner at a 3 hat restaurant). I can't wait! And is that Adriano Zumbo and Passionflower calling my name? :D 

No comments:

Post a Comment